[linux-audio-user] was "New To List "--JACK totalmix

Mark Knecht markknecht at comcast.net
Wed Aug 20 20:29:01 EDT 2003

On Wed, 2003-08-20 at 14:16, kevin ernste wrote:
> > Chris Share wrote:
> >
> > Jack as nothing more than an audio
> > router, coupled with the mixing and clock control I get from Thomas
> > Charbonnel's hdspmixer and hdspconf male it almost magical for me.
>
> The HDSP mixer (TotalMix) is an amazing little tool, allowing you to
> control levels/signal path to and from any arbitrary (or all
> simultaneously) inputs, outputs, etc.
>
> But why not have this functionality for every ALSA supported card via a
> JACK totalmix client based on Thomas' hdspmixer code?

Personally, I like the idea, but it doesn't give the exact same
functionality. In the RME card I can route ADAT In 1 to ADAT Out 22 and
I have no appreciable latency. I could do the same thing in your model
going through a Jack mixer, an idea I find quite attractive, but in come
cases it wouldn't be as good, really.

None the less, someone should consider the concept and see if they want
to do it because I think the vast majority of applications would be fine
with the latency.

> Mixer strips would represent available hardware routes by default, but
> strips could be added and subtracted as new clients are started, just
> like Qjackconnect but with live faders (or scopes, jellyfish etc) like
> hdspmixer.  With JACK, meterbridge, and hdspmixer, aren't we most of
> the way there?

Absolutely. The only thing missing is the GUI, which Thomas has done,
and the ability to scale volumes to do the faders.

These faders could also be automated pretty easily, I think, which could
have lots of applications.

One last idea, allow me to choose which Jack channels have dither
applied and then even dithering in Jack could make sense to me.

> This might also solve previous complaints by Mark and others (the DJ
> crowd) of pops and clicks when clients connect to JACK.  Levels for
> each client could simply be raised in the JACK totalmix.

The first step towards automation... ;-)