[linux-audio-user] Help neede with ardour

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Thu Aug 21 13:20:10 EDT 2003

Hallo,
Mark Knecht hat gesagt: // Mark Knecht wrote:

> Frank,
>    Following up, this is what I found in Gentoo Bugzilla
>
> <SNIP>
> Bug 21752
> <SNIP>
> ------- Additional Comment #5 From J. Ellis 2003-05-29 07:27 EST -------
> Heh torben, what's the issue with jack-start? Is this only for
> media-sound/j-a-c-k
> or media-sound/jack-cvs, too?
>
> jack-cvs seems to be building fine. Let me know.
>
> ------- Additional Comment #6 From J. Ellis 2003-05-29 09:05 EST -------
> I'm not going to put the capabilities stuff back right now. The idea of
> having to
> hack kernel include files to get it to work seems 'distasteful'. I can only
> imagine
> the bug reports...
> <SNIP>
>
>    I will still enter a request, but it looks like this is considered at
> least controversial by some at Gentoo.

Just including jackstart seems very sensible. The Debian package
includes jackstart and has instructions on how to patch the kernel for
capabilities.  But if a user is running a stock kernel, jackstart will not work, and one is forced to use jackd. This is absoluetly okay, IMO.

The alternative would be to build a kernel-image, on that jackstart
depends, which just will not work out in the end. It's better to just
leave that in the users' responsibiliy.

ciao