[linux-audio-user] alsa driver install help

Jamie Lutch jlutch at altairinc.com
Tue Aug 26 23:33:13 EDT 2003

i am trying to install the alsa 0.96 driver with vxpocket support according
to the instructions here:

http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/doc-php/template.php3?company=Digigram&
card=VXpocket+V2&chip=&module=vxpocket

I am in suse 8.2, kernel 2.4.20-4GB
I have the soundcore module installed

under the 'quick install' section I was able to create the directory and
unzip the tar there.

but I get stuck when executing the following line:

./configure --with-cards=vxpocket --with-sequencer=yes;make;make install

after doing a bunch of checks, shell returns the following:

checking for kernel version... The file
/lib/modules/2.4.20-4GB/build/include/linux/version.h does not exist
Please, install the package with full kernel sources for your distribution
or use --with-kernel=dir option to specify another directory with kernel
sources (default is /usr/src/linux).

so I tried it with --with-kernel=/usr/src/linux
and --with-kernel=/lib/modules/2.4.20-4GB/build, neither worked.

At this point, gave up and went looking for a i586 rpm, and installed the
following:

alsa-0.9.6-0.pm.0.i586.rpm
alsa-tools-0.9.6-0.pm.0.i586.rpm
alsa-lib-0.9.6-1.i586.rpm

when I installed the alsa-lib rpm, it said there were some conflicts with
the first one, so i ran it using --force

The vxpocket should apparently be installable thru yasT at this point, but
there still is no module for the vxpocket anywhere. in addition, alsaconf
doesnt run, a window pops up, but then it shuts down.

at this point, I went back to the alsa page, and continued to compile from
source. the libraries installed ok, but when I wen to install the
alsa-utils, it starts, but gets an error, and shell says:

configure: error: this pacage requires a curses library
make: *** No targets specified and no makefile file found. Stop.
make: *** No rule to make target 'install'. Stop.

this is getting really frustrating! any help is appreciated

thanks!
 jamie