[linux-audio-user] DVD audio authoring

Daniel James daniel at mondodesigno.com
Wed Aug 27 04:59:13 EDT 2003

> > The Pioneer doesn't do the real-time MLP encoding, it's done in
> > software.  An encoding app writes an .mlp file which is then
> > burned from a separate tool.
>
> Ah, that explains it. Thanks. So its just video it can do in
> realtime.

Are you talking about your Pioneer DVD-R drive rather than the
standalone Pioneer DVD recorder here, Kevin?

> > Regardless of MLP (highly unlikely, as you say, because of
> > patents) or something like it, DVD-A support for linux would be a
> > great thing.
>
> Yes, thats very true. Are any other formats allowed for DVD-A? The
> audio part of DVD video can use MPEG streams IIRC, and we have
> free-ish MPEG encoders. 9+ MB/s of 4 channel MPEG would be pretty
> high quality.

Ogg Flac maybe? I guess in the future there will be very few pure
hardware players - they will all be running some sort of upgradable
software. So there'll be more scope for new formats. You could burn
any format you wanted to a data DVD-R and include player software on
the disc too.

> Otherwise, maybe pioneer would licence thier linux version of the
> MLP tools.

If that's what they are using in the standalone recorder. If that was
the case, I expect Meridian might object unless they get a
substantial cut.

Cheers

Daniel