[linux-audio-user] DVD audio authoring

Steve Harris S.W.Harris at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Wed Aug 27 06:42:12 EDT 2003

On Wed, Aug 27, 2003 at 09:46:39 +0100, Daniel James wrote:
> > Yes, thats very true. Are any other formats allowed for DVD-A? The
> > audio part of DVD video can use MPEG streams IIRC, and we have
> > free-ish MPEG encoders. 9+ MB/s of 4 channel MPEG would be pretty
> > high quality.
>
> Ogg Flac maybe? I guess in the future there will be very few pure
> hardware players - they will all be running some sort of upgradable
> software. So there'll be more scope for new formats. You could burn
> any format you wanted to a data DVD-R and include player software on
> the disc too.

I was thinking more of things that are supported now. I guess you could do
a DVD-Video stream with no video (or a black screen or whatever) I suspect
most DVD-A players would play that without thinking about it, but it
wouldn't be a true DVD-A - why they are different is a complete mystery to
me.

Ahh... acording to a DVD pressing house website I just read you can store
uncomressed PCM on DVD-A discs, you still only get 9.6 Mb/s, but that just
gives you enough bandwidth for 4 24/96 or 6 24/48 channels.

http://www.amtechdisc.com/dvdspecs.htm

Still, it could be worse, they could be using the microsoft audio format -
we'd have a fat chance of getting a licence out of microsoft for anything
:)

> > Otherwise, maybe pioneer would licence thier linux version of the
> > MLP tools.
>
> If that's what they are using in the standalone recorder. If that was
> the case, I expect Meridian might object unless they get a
> substantial cut.

I'm sure Pioneer have to pay Meridian a per product cut (not much, a few
tens of dollars maybe) as it is. Meridian aren't very forthcoming about
thier licencing terms, but thats how dolby do thier licencing.

- Steve