[linux-audio-user] Looking for a good laptop.

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Mon Dec 1 11:38:48 EST 2003

Hallo,
Steve Harris hat gesagt: // Steve Harris wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 30, 2003 at 04:48:28 +0100, vincent.touquet at pandora.be wrote:
> > I am looking for a good laptop solution, to develop on,
> > but I would also like to be able to do audio work on it.
> > What laptops do you use if you have one ?
>
> This is becoming an FAQ, somone should probably write a webpage about it.

There already is: http://tuxmobil.org/ et al.

Practically everything that applies to "normal" Linux on laptops is
also valid for audio laptops. As most (all?) laptops don't provide
high quality, let alone multichannel audio, you will have to use an
external solution most probably.

Somewhere on oreillynet Dave Phillipps wrote an article on Linux audio
laptops, IIR, too. Should be linked from linuxsound.org

My recommendation: Stay away from non-brand laptops. Read laptop news
groups (groups.google.com) for experiences with the support of a
maker. Buy things like IBM, Acer or Fujitu/Siemens.

Pay about 100 $/Euro more than you want to pay.

ciao