[linux-audio-user] Looking for a good laptop.

derek holzer derek at x-i.net
Tue Dec 2 07:45:33 EST 2003

Everything for "normal" laptops applies, PLUS more on the hardware side!
I realized this after fighting with the PCMCIA slot sof my laptop to get
my HDSP soundcard working for the better part of this year [on and off].

RME-audio [makers of Hammerfall systems] has useful [although not always
totally current for newest models] info about different laptop models,
as well as a list of things to watch out for. This like:

which chipsets perform badly for audio
why you should avoid shared-memory graphics chips
info about USB bandwidth and audio dropouts
etc etc

Worth a look even if you can't shell out EUR 1K for an HDSP.

http://www.rme-audio.com/english/techinfo/index.htm

good luck,
d.