[linux-audio-user] ALSA/OSS Free supported sound card with 16inputchannels

jpo234 at netscape.net jpo234 at netscape.net
Mon Dec 1 12:25:56 EST 2003

Patrick Shirkey <pshirkey at boosthardware.com> wrote:

>So you are talking about designing an app which allows multitrack
>recording from a digital source but doesn't have any requirement to
>connect to a sound cards inputs?

I'm talking about a fancy phone answering machine where the phone
does not support modem voice commands. The application will accept
an incoming phone call on one of up to 16 phones and start an
application that stores the incoming voice into a WAV file.

The phone will generate an analogue signal, because the D/A step
accounts for an important part of the quality of the final voice, so
it will have to connect to a sound cards inputs.

Ideally we would use an artificial ear, but then we would not be able
place it into a 19" rack because of all the background noise.

>It should be relatively easy to design your own app/script which takes
>the raw data and writes it to multiple files.

I hope so. The fancy part is the voice quality assessment.