[linux-audio-user] Help with basic midi configuration]

Eduardo Guerrero felixe at domovolcanico.com
Mon Dec 1 12:51:26 EST 2003

-------- Original Message --------

> Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Help with basic midi configuration
> Date: Mon, 01 Dec 2003 09:01:21 +0100
> From: Robert Jonsson <robert.jonsson at dataductus.se>
> To: A list for linux audio users <linux-audio-user at music.columbia.edu>
>
> Hi Eduardo,
>
> A question, did you load any soundfonts?
>
> The SB-Live soundcard has built in synth capabilities but no internal
> sounds. You have to load a soundfont with the utility sfxload (available
> in the aweutils package). This also implies that you need to setup
> OSS-compatibility support in ALSA since the awe utils use that.
>
> I would also advice you to install a newer version of muse, check
> rpm.nyvalls.se/sounds9.1.html.
>
> Regards,
> Robert
>
> Eduardo Guerrero wrote:
>
>> Hi, I'm on my first attempt at midi on Linux. I'm using MusE
>> 0.6.0pre5 in Mandrake 9.1. I think I can start jack in a root
>> console, but I guess for a simple test it isn't necessary, so I start
>> muse and I get the GUI. I managed to record some notes but if I press
>> play on the transport I don't hear anything. I'm using a sblive
>> platinum and, for setting levels I'm using Alsa-Mixer GUI and for
>> connections I'm using Alsa Patch Bay. I have been tweaking everything
>> and haven't got any sound. It surely works since I can use XMMS and
>> also I can load and hear midi tracks on KMidi.
>>
>> In my MusE Midi Port Table I have port 1, generic midi, going to the
>> device EMU10K1 MPU-401 (UART) and the state shows as OK. Trying with
>> different settings I have seen a message about DEVICE PLAYING or
>> similar but can't remember what I did.
>>
>> On MusE the black activity meter is moving and mute cell has a green
>> LED (?) on, I don't know if its on why I see such activity. But
>> anyway I don't get any sound with it turned on or off.
>>
>> Any help would be appreciated,
>> Eduardo

Thanks, now it's working. I did try to load a soundfont, but I had each
track strip turned off. The button seems pushed when it's off, contrary
to my belief.

For the moment it's just playing what I've recorded, is there a way to
play live with the soundfont sounds?

Later today I will try a newer muse version, as Robert suggests.

Thank you,
Eduardo.