[linux-audio-user] ALSA: What is the website missing?

Florian Schmidt mista.tapas at gmx.net
Mon Dec 1 14:10:03 EST 2003

On Mon, 01 Dec 2003 22:06:50 +0900
Patrick Shirkey <pshirkey at boosthardware.com> wrote:

> As some of you already know I am the occasional webmaster/docs
> maintainer for ALSA.
>
> I have been planning some additions to the site to make it more
> accessible but before I jump into anything that could be considered a
> facelift I would like to get some opinions from y'all.
>
> Can you tell me what things you would like to have on the website that
>
> are not already there? What things have you noticed while using it
> that are not user friendly?
>
> I would like to add a database for some kind of card rating system.
>
> What would you consider valuable things to rate a card against?
>
> All opinions will be considered so don't hold back ;-]

Besides my point about the automation of the documentation generation
process, i would like to add the following: It would probably be good to
redesign the whole documentation part of the website. And i'm a big fan
of designing my documents top down.

Thus i would like to propose a Table of Contents for a reworked
documentation part of the alsa website:

1. Introduction to ALSA

2. User documentation
2.1 Overview of ALSA from a users perspective
2.2 ALSA userspace tools
2.2.1 alsamixer/alsactl
2.2.2 aplay/arecord
2.3 .asoundrc
2.3.1 dmix, dsnoop, etc..
2.3.2 Dolby digital, 5.1 sound, etc..

3. Developer documentation
3.1 Alsa-lib api
3.2 Driver developer info
3.3 Additional info (Tutorials, etc)

4. System Maintainers documentation
4.1 How to install ALSA
4.2 Kernel Module overview (snd, virmidi, etc..)

5. Supported Souncards
5.1 Sound Card Matrix
5.2 Hardware Recommendations for certain purposes

6. Additional Sources of info
6.1 Wiki

Feel free to add meat, modify, or flame me to death :)

Flo

--
music: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/9/florianschmidt.htm