[linux-audio-user] Success with midi

comix acominu at tiscali.it
Sat Dec 6 07:45:05 EST 2003

On Saturday 06 December 2003 10:00, Eduardo Guerrero wrote:
> Hi, this success story with my midi setup is dedicated to all of you who
> have helped me these days.
>
> I'm finally being able to play with my keyboard the sounds generated by
> ZynAddSubFX hearing them coming out from the speakers as I play. That's
> great by itself due to the almost unlimited capabilities of Zyn. Then I
> got stereo sound which was previously unavailable. Frankly I don't know
> the reason, but when I upgraded from Mandrake 9.1 to 9.2 panning started
> to work properly.
>
> Then I have Hydrogen. I'm making some good beats with it and playing
> along with my keyboard. This brings me to my 2 questions:
>
> - Is there a way to mix levels of the audio streams going to the
> alsa_pcm port? I have the possibility of turning up or down the volume
> in Zyn but it isn't as flexible as it could be since, in this case,
> Hydrogen doesn't have a volume control (or I haven't figured out where
> is it).

Volume? It's the first Fader on the right (Master output)

> - Can I use some FX on the audio stream? A filter bank, a reverb or a
> delay line can do wonders to the already-wonderful sound I now have.
> With audio stream I'm referring to the mixed sounds coming from Zyn and
> Hydrogen to the alsa_pcm port (labeled as input, but in my point of view
> it could be the output port --sorry for being selfish here).

Yes, you can use FX on your audio stream, but you have to use Jack as audio
driver. Hydrogen has up to 32 jack output ports: you can assign every
instrument with a different FX (e.g: with jack-rack)

> - Is there a way to share bpm information between apps? For syncing
> delays it would be great not to have to fire up the delay calculator. I
> don't have many, if any, programming skills but I guess it would be as
> simple as using an environment variable. Perhaps the functionality is
> already there but I haven't found it or nobody uses it.

Again, JACK is the solution. Hydrogen is a jack-transport enabled app, so you
can share the bpm and the song position with others jack-enabled programs.

ciao
--
Alessandro <Comix> Cominu

http://hydrogen.sf.net