[linux-audio-user] Skipping audio output?

Anthony DiSante orders at nodivisions.com
Sun Dec 7 12:43:07 EST 2003

Daniel James wrote:
>>However if
>>I do something that peaks the CPU (like dragging a window around
>>really fast), this also causes the sound to skip immediately.
>

> Are you by any chance using Mandrake, or have the kdm login manager
> installed? If so, the problem is likely to be X being reniced by
> default, and you might like to try this fix:
>
> Adjust the -n level from -10 to 0 in the file /etc/X11/xdm/Xservers so
> the last line looks like this:
>
> :0 local /bin/nice -n 0 /usr/X11R6/bin/X -deferglyphs 16

I'm not using Mandrake (I run Slackware 9.1 currently), but I'm not sure if
I've got the kdm login manager installed.  (ps -ef|grep kdm shows nothing,
if that tells you anything.)  I use text-based login on my system, and after
logging in, I run startx to bring up Gnome.  Here's my /etc/X11/xdm/Xservers
file:

# $Xorg: Xserv.ws.cpp,v 1.3 2000/08/17 19:54:17 cpqbld Exp $
#
# Xservers file, workstation prototype
#
# This file should contain an entry to start the server on the
# local display; if you have more than one display (not screen),
# you can add entries to the list (one per line).  If you also
# have some X terminals connected which do not support XDMCP,
# you can add them here as well.  Each X terminal line should
# look like:
#       XTerminalName:0 foreign
#
:0 local /usr/X11R6/bin/X

So it's just that one line, and it doesn't currently have the call to
/bin/nice.  Should I add it?

Thanks,
Anthony
http://nodivisions.com/