[linux-audio-user] stretching sound

derek holzer derek at x-i.net
Wed Dec 10 13:57:33 EST 2003

Eric,

Eric Dantan Rzewnicki wrote:
> I think the pitch shift works by either compressing or stretching the
> time....

This is, unfortunately, contrary to what I was hoping.

What I hoped was that ecasound could time-stretch or -compress
independent of pitch-shifting. At the very least, I thought there might
be a way to simultaneously slow or speed playback while pitch-shifting
to compensate. But this is a kind of windowed operation that ecasound
probably doesn't have.

Better for me to investigate CSound, I guess. Or Pure Data, but it
doens't make for a very good batch-processor.

The time-stretch and -compress options in Ardour seem to be pretty good
[although they also tend to crash Ardour if you aren't careful], but
Ardour is an even worse batch-processor than PD!!!

Best,
D.

--
derek holzer ::: http://www.umatic.nl