[linux-audio-user] linux kernel 2.6.0

Kjetil Svalastog Matheussen k.s.matheussen at notam02.no
Fri Dec 19 04:59:47 EST 2003

aguerrier:
> Hi
> What sort of improvements are we(linux-audio-users) to expect upon
> upgrading the kernel of our DAW to 2.6.0?  I am asking the question to
> get some knowledge and start a nice discussion.  I have read 'The
> Wonderful World of Linux 2.6' on http://www.kniggit.net/wwol26.html
> There is a nice paragraph on 'audio and multimedia'; it mentions ALSA's
> inclusion in the kernel and improvements in USB Audio and MIDI devices
> and some upgrade in Video4Linux subsystem, as well.
> What does it all mean to our day-to-day productivity?  Should I now get
> the M-Audio Firewire 410, because its functionality might/probably have
> improved?
> Any thoughts?

My experience with 2.6, and also the impression I have got from reading
linux-audio-dev, is actually the opposite. The 2.6.0 kernel is worse
for multimedia work, because the latency is higher than 2.4.0 with the
low-latency patch. I don't know mathematical that this is correct, but it
seems so.

Hopefully it is possible to make a low-latency patch for the 2.6 kernel as
well?