[linux-audio-user] linux kernel 2.6.0

Jack O'Quin joq at io.com
Fri Dec 19 11:35:22 EST 2003

Kjetil Svalastog Matheussen <k.s.matheussen at notam02.no> writes:
> My experience with 2.6, and also the impression I have got from reading
> linux-audio-dev, is actually the opposite. The 2.6.0 kernel is worse
> for multimedia work, because the latency is higher than 2.4.0 with the
> low-latency patch. I don't know mathematical that this is correct, but it
> seems so.

This is my experience, too, comparing a 2.4 with low latency patches
to an unpatched 2.6 kernel.

To be fair, the unpatched 2.6 is a *lot* better than an unpatched 2.4,
enough better to actually be usable for many purposes, but not good
enough for serious low-latency audio.

> Hopefully it is possible to make a low-latency patch for the 2.6 kernel as
> well?

This is definitely needed, IMHO.
--
  joq