[linux-audio-user] The trouble with disks

Mark Knecht mknecht at controlnet.com
Fri Dec 19 17:36:37 EST 2003

LOL!!!!!

><SNIP>
> alsa_pcm:capture_1
>    ardour:bass/in 1
>    ardour:mekody/in 1
<SNIP>
> alsaplayer-6399:out_2
>    alsa_pcm:playback_2
>
> <Phew> You think that's arbitrarily complicated enough?

I cannot even begin to understand what it means! It's beyond arbitrarily
complicated! We just had a Christmas party and I put away a couple of pints,
so I'll save the serious analysis for tomorrow! ;-)

> and jackd -v output like this
>
><SNIP>
>
> and the processor at 100% because qjackconnect went to lala land (seems
> to disagree with 2.6 kernels, qjackctl as well), there was 1 xrun in 2
> minutes 40 seconds. I'm pretty sure I heard the disk do something around
> about then...
>
> So to confirm it, I said find /, and the xruns were popping up 1 every 3
> or 4 seconds, and sometimes more often.

So it does really appear to be disk based. Whether it's the disk itself, of
something about the way the disk interferes with other things going on I
don't know, but it's good data.

> This was on vanilla 2.6.0 with Pre-emptible Kernel turned on, for those
> who've been asking.

Interesting. Were you running 2.6 on your SMP machine 2 weeks ago? Same
revision of the kernel, or are you now using the new 2.6 stable release?