[linux-audio-user] The trouble with disks

John Anderson ardour at semiosix.com
Sat Dec 20 03:03:47 EST 2003

On Sat, 2003-12-20 at 00:36, Mark Knecht wrote:
> > So to confirm it, I said find /, and the xruns were popping up 1 every 3
> > or 4 seconds, and sometimes more often.
>
> So it does really appear to be disk based. Whether it's the disk itself, of
> something about the way the disk interferes with other things going on I
> don't know, but it's good data.

The next thing to try is to get hold of a fast IDE disk and see if the
problem is related to the SCSI controller (or driver) or the SCSI disk.

> > This was on vanilla 2.6.0 with Pre-emptible Kernel turned on, for those
> > who've been asking.
>
> Interesting. Were you running 2.6 on your SMP machine 2 weeks ago? Same
> revision of the kernel, or are you now using the new 2.6 stable release?

2.6.0 stable. Freshly downloaded and compiled for my listening pleasure.
At least that's what I was hoping as I watched the progress meter for
wget...

I was using 2.4.22 with lowlatency patches on the SMP machine. Trouble
started with the uniprocessor, so I tried all sorts of things, including
the pre-emptible patches for 2.4. Then I went to 2.6.0-test9, then
2.6.0-test11, then 2.6.0-test11-mm1, then 2.6.0. Same story with all of
them.

bye
John