[linux-audio-user] The trouble with disks

LinuxMedia linuxmedia4 at netscape.net
Fri Dec 19 23:26:46 EST 2003

>>> What are the other options? I've looked
 >>> at PCI latencies for card and drive
 >>> controller, IRQ ordering (although APIC
 >>> seems to make this irrelevant, or at least
 >>> uncontrollable), OS disk scheduler
 >>> anticipatory, deadline and cfq), tagged
 >>> queueing (high values almost guarantee
 >>> xruns on recording but don't seem to
 >>> improve playback).

I did many of the tests that you mention above. I finally got to the
point were I bought half a gig of ram (now have approx. 800Megs) and
mounted my "Record Directory" on a tmpfs. I move everything in tmpsf and
only do periodic saves to hard disk of the files that are changed as I go.

I guess the (overly obvious) quesion is, are you running as root? It
sounds like you're savy enough to have thought of that. But I just
thought I would ask (just in case). Running as root can eleviate certain
problems.

Rocco