[linux-audio-user] Routing emu10k1 wavetable through JACK-Rack?

Benjamin Flaming lau at solobanjo.com
Sat Dec 20 16:14:15 EST 2003

On Saturday 20 December 2003 11:57 am, Thorsten Mika wrote:
> Do you know whether there is a schedule for ZynAddSubFX and when it
> could be made more stable?

     There was some serious investigative/experimental work done a week or two
ago.  The CVS version now has two Jack drivers - the original (which is very
responsive, but zombifies easily) and a new one which is slightly slower to
respond (due to additional buffering), but which doesn't zombify.  I've spent
a little bit of time looking over the code in an effort to come up with a
better implementation, but the author is currently making some big changes to
the internals of the synth, so I'd better wait until things stabilize a bit.

     If you're interested, I could try sending you my slightly hacked
ZynAddSubFX binary (offlist, of course).  It coughs and sputters a bit when
it gets pushed too hard, but it uses the older, more responsive Jack driver,
and I've managed to use it for a couple hours with Jack buffer size set to
64!  I could send you the source code, but that might take a few days, since
I'd have to dig around in order to figure out which source tree built the
binary I put into my /usr/bin directory (assuming I still have a copy of the
source tree from which I built it.... ;)