[linux-audio-user] AGNULA launches the "Libre Music" project

The AGNULA Team info at agnula.org
Mon Dec 22 13:03:13 EST 2003

|                  ______ ______  _     _ _                       |
|            /\   / _____)  ___ \| |   | | |        /\            |
|           /  \ | /  ___| |   | | |   | | |       /  \           |
|          / /\ \| | (___) |   | | |   | | |      / /\ \          |
|         | |__| | \____/| |   | | |___| | |_____| |__| |         |
|         |______|\_____/|_|   |_|\______|_______)______|         |

     [Sorry for cross-posting.  Feel free to forward around]

Florence, 22 Dec 2003

+++ AGNULA launches the "Libre Music" project

The AGNULA IST-Project [0] is proud to announce  its new "Libre Music"
(aka the "muzik" project) project, whose goal  is to create a publicly
accessible database of Libre Music, i.e.   music licensed under either
the Creative Commons [1] licenses or the EFF [2] Open Audio License.

+++

One  of  the objectives of   the AGNULA-IST project is  help spreading
sensibility on  the topics of  Libre Software, with specific attention
paid to  audio/video applications and  content distribution.  In order
to  reach this goal, the AGNULA-IST  project has decided to allocate a
part of  its  resources  to develop  and  host  a publicly  accessible
database of Libre Music, i.e. musical works licensed under either:

- the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 1.0 license [3]

- the Creative Commons Attribution 1.0 license [4]

- the EFF Open Audio License 1.0.1 [5]

We are  not  going to compete  with  other, similar, efforts.   On the
contrary, we   would   like    to     be complementary  to       other
projects/databases who are already working  or are planning to work in
the  same field.   Our development strategy   is driven by this  basic
willness to cooperate and not to compete.

If you  want  to contribute to  our development  effort, feel  free to
subscribe [6] to our development portal [7] and ask  either one of the
`muzik' project  [8]  administrators  (Davide Fugazza [9]  and  Andrea
Glorioso [10]) to be  added to the project  - you will  be able to use
our CVS, bug tracking and task manager tools.

If you, your company and/or your organization is interested in sharing
its archives of  Libre Music by  publishing  it on AGNULA  Libre Music
database   once  this will  be  complete, and/or   if you want further
information,   feel free to   send  your questions, suggestions and/or
criticisms to:

  <users at lists.agnula.org> [11]

for general discussion, and/or to:

  <info at agnula.org>

for general, info-line style questions on the AGNULA project.

+++

About  AGNULA: Agnula (acronym for    A GNU/Linux Audio  distribution,
pronounced with a strong g)  is the name of   a project funded by  the
European Commission  (number  of contract: IST-2001-34879;  key action
IV.3.3, Free  Software: towards the  critical mass).  The project aims
to spread Free Software in the professional audio/video arena.

The AGNULA Team                                   info at agnula.org
Our web site:                               http://www.agnula.org/
"There's no free expression without control on the tools you use"

[0]  http://www.agnula.org/
[1]  http://www.creativecommons.org/
[2]  http://www.eff.org/
[3]  http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/1.0/legalcode
[4]  http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/1.0/legalcode
[5]  http://www.eff.org/IP/Open_licenses/eff_oal.php
[6]  http://devel.agnula.org/account/register.php
[7]  http://devel.agnula.org/
[8]  http://devel.agnula.org/projects/muzik/
[9]  davide [dot] fugazza [at] agnula [dot] org
[10] andrea [dot] glorioso [at] agnula [dot] org
[11] http://lists.agnula.org/mailman/listinfo/users