[linux-audio-user] Suitable distro for audio works

LinuxMedia linuxmedia4 at netscape.net
Tue Dec 23 22:23:37 EST 2003

>> As an all purpose desktop system I use mdk 9.2. There is a large number of
>> audio apps contributed for it but before going down that route or another,
>> I thought I'd take some advice.

First I want to mention that I haven't used anything other than SuSE. So
this is not a comparison to other distrobs. I'm actually quite surprised
at how few people (either) don't use SuSE (or) they don't mention it much.

I used to want to know every single thing about how linux (and linux
audio) worked. So I used to like to configure everything. Man... I
learned a lot. But it's nice to be able to install SuSE and everything
works out of the box. If this sounds "OT", it's not, because the more
things that are configured right, the more I can really explore (and set
up) things that are audio related. I say this because I have my hands
full with (just) audio because I'm also trying to set things up so that
the average user can use linux/audio. So I spend a lot of time trying to
figure out how make the audio apps easier to use. This requires such
things as (just to mention a few) bash scripting... combining bash
scripting and KDE's "service menues" to automate a lot of audio stuff.
So I like that fact that SuSE takes care of the other things while I get
on to the business of converting windows/audio people to linux/audio
people (heehee).

Sometimes SuSE audio programs seem a little outdated, but I just
installed the latest version (SuSE 9.0) and it's not too bad. The audio
programs are (only slightly) old. But this is to be expected. But as
soon as I understand all the other things nessesary (the changes in KDE
3.1.4 for instance) then I will go out and install the newest versions
of my favorite linux audio programs. By then I will have explored the
"convenence features" of KDE that will make producing sound/music with
linux that much easier.

OK, start the flames (hehe).

Rocco