[linux-audio-user] Mandrake Audio Update

Austin Acton aacton at YorkU.CA
Wed Feb 5 22:54:00 EST 2003

Hey,
I just wanted to thank you all again for the great response I got to my
totally uncalled-for survey.  The volunteers and the staff at Mandrake
have taken your requests to heart!

We have a small task force packaging all the rpms you've requested.
Most are done, and hopefully the rest will be finished by 9.1 release
time (two months away).  I gotta say, ardour took me two DAYS to package
in an easy-to-use form, but I think it's pretty good.  We've added a lot
of alsa and jack utils that weren't there before, some you hadn't even
asked for.

Also, we've prepared a multimedia kernel with pre-emptable, low-latency,
capabilities, and o_stream patches.  It may be hard to get the company
to include this in the 'main' distro, but it will definitely be in the
contributor's section (that's where most of the audio software is
anyway).

As well, the installer team (Pixel) has added full USB audio detection,
and a graphical setup tool for soundcards and sound system (OSS/alsa) to
the installer.  It's a bit unpolished as of today, but we've got two
months to perfect it.

Beta 3 was a bit rocky, but if any of you have a spare machine or a
spare partition, I'd invite you to try beta 4 when it's released (two
weeks maybe?).  Should be a multimedia masterpiece.  :-)

Again, thanks for your help.  It really counts.
Let me know if you have any more questions or requests.

Austin

--
                        Austin Acton Hon.B.Sc.
             Synthetic Organic Chemist, Teaching Assistant