[linux-audio-user] Sound on Sound, and Home Recording Magazine

Rick Taylor ricktaylor at speakeasy.net
Fri Feb 7 02:46:01 EST 2003

On Thu, 2003-02-06 at 20:20, Darren Landrum wrote:
> Two little things to tell everyone.
>
> First, I finally got my copy of the February issue of Sound on Sound.
> The Linux article is there, and I was very impressed with it. Plus,
> this issue has a great how-to on micing drums for studio recording.
>
> The surprise was the copy of Home Recording I picked up on a whim
> today, because it has an article on DIY surround sound. In the back,
> under the Computer Central heading, is an article called "The Other
> Operating System," by Thad Brown. I'll give you three guesses which one
> he's talking about. :-)
>
> It's a very positive article, saying that he ultimately thinks that
> Linux will be a serious competitor to MS and Apple for music
> production. The article also mentions a company called Digigram who has
> released drivers for their audio hardware under an Open Source license
> (does anybody know anything about Digigram?). He does say, though, that
> there seems to be no real replacement in the works for the likes of
> ProTools and Cubase, so I think somebody needs to point him to Ardour
> and Rosegarden.
>
> Just thought you all would like to know. :-)

I read somewhere that this works pretty well under wine. {As well as
cubase and sound forge}

http://www.cakewalk.com/Products/Project5/default.asp

Personally, I think the important thing would be to come up with a
killer app like Nuendo or just a nice stable, emacs style, extensible
sequencing environment {Or, maybe convince Minnetonka {Their surround
sound thing would be an excellent base.} or Cakewalk to port} Plugins
and VST/VSTi are most important in my mind... that's the strongest, most
rapidly progressing thing on windows... It follows UNIX philosophy...
makes even more sense in linux {consider the type of development that
goes on in linux as well {windows users have done wonders with vst.}}
It'd be great to get a sort of generalized plugin based environment
along the likes of Creamware's stuff going. {like the functionality of
pd/gem with a timeline and softsynths/ladspa/vst plugins. ...That, being
open source, could be remade in the image of whichever artist wishes to
move into it. It's an environment...}

I think linux's real strong point is all of the bizarre research
environments and experimental software that's available. I also think
that's {coding sound} going to become much more important. It makes for
a good artistic environment at any rate.

Considering the fact that the development trend seems to be towards
crossplatform/platform independent stuff... the idea that OpenStep and
OSX seem to be getting along so brilliantly {I do wish they'd port final
cut pro or avid dv}, that there's a VST server, LADSPA and so many
really nifty projects going... I think the difference amongst platforms
in the future is... there won't be any {platforms} that everything will
be modular... more unixy... built out of plugins and tools and scripts
and the internet.

:} My advice... buy Redhat. {Maybe FCP... Avid.}

--
Rick Taylor <ricktaylor at speakeasy.net>
The Dispossessed