[linux-audio-user] Sound on Sound, and Home Recording Magazine

Darren Landrum consul at studioconsul.net
Thu Feb 6 21:28:01 EST 2003

Two little things to tell everyone.

First, I finally got my copy of the February issue of Sound on Sound.
The Linux article is there, and I was very impressed with it. Plus,
this issue has a great how-to on micing drums for studio recording.

The surprise was the copy of Home Recording I picked up on a whim
today, because it has an article on DIY surround sound. In the back,
under the Computer Central heading, is an article called "The Other
Operating System," by Thad Brown. I'll give you three guesses which one
he's talking about. :-)

It's a very positive article, saying that he ultimately thinks that
Linux will be a serious competitor to MS and Apple for music
production. The article also mentions a company called Digigram who has
released drivers for their audio hardware under an Open Source license
(does anybody know anything about Digigram?). He does say, though, that
there seems to be no real replacement in the works for the likes of
ProTools and Cubase, so I think somebody needs to point him to Ardour
and Rosegarden.

Just thought you all would like to know. :-)

Regards,
Darren Landrum