[linux-audio-user] Linux multimedia distributions

Fernando Pablo Lopez-Lezcano nando at ccrma.Stanford.EDU
Fri Feb 7 17:03:01 EST 2003

> > I currently have at Planet CCRMA some of the external libraries as "easy
> > to install packages": currently gem, ggee, iemlib and zexy. I would like
> > to add more, of course......
>
> The nice thing about the central cvs is of course, that it will be
> a lot easier to keep packages current.
>
> Maybe we could keep package names consistent, so users of different
> package-formats can somehow know what to expect inside a package?
> There are no firm standing conventions yet. The debs from sf.net
> currently are "pd-externals" with ggee and a lot of other single
> externals (ggee isn't build as a library then), "pd-zexy", "pd-osc"
> and "pd-flext" for flext. If I find the time (yes, same problem here;)
> I'll try to add a "pd-flexternals" or such package with packages, that
> build-depend on pd-flext (like my externals). Also a "pd-abstractions"
> package might be nice and of course update.

Yes, it would be nice to have compatible package names... At this point
I'm using just the advertised names of the external libraries for the
package name (ie: no pd-xxx prefix). The first package I created a long
time ago was for ggee and I named it pd-ggee but afterwards I switched
to plain names (I could not see an advantage to adding a prefix and
current practice for packaging is to use the name of the software
package).

-- Fernando