[linux-audio-user] alsa and modules.conf problems

Frank Pirrone fpirrone at localnet.com
Sat Feb 8 20:15:00 EST 2003

When I insert the line

alias usb-controller uhci into my /etc/modules.conf file in RedHat 8.0
with the CCRMA files installed, whch is required to fire up my Midiman
2x2 USB interface and HP 6200c USB scanner, the bootup messages state
ALSA driver already loaded [FAILED}.

If I leave out this line, I see the drivers ennumerated and hear sound
come up on my speaker system.

It doesn't matter where in the modules.conf file I place this statement,
it still prevents ALSA from initialiizing.

Here is the configuration file (relevant section) as its grown over the
months I've been using ALSA:

# ALSA portion
alias char-major-116 snd
alias snd-card-0 snd-cs4236
alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss
options snd major=116 cards_limit=3 device_mode=0666
options snd-cs4236 index=0
options snd-usb-audio index=1
options snd-virmidi index=2

# OSS/Free portion
# card #1
alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss

# card #2
alias sound-service-1-1 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-1-8 snd-seq-oss

# card #3
alias sound-service-2-1 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-2-8 snd-seq-oss

# Keep modules from being autocleaned
add options -k snd-card-0
add options -k snd-card-1
add options -k snd-card-2

# Mixer settings
post-install snd-card-0 alsactl restore >/dev/null 2>&1 || :
pre-remove snd-card-0 alsactl store >/dev/null 2>&1 || :

Note, I have tried eliminating each of these sections without solving
the problem.  Also, there is the following OSS  section that RedHat
insists on inserting each bootup:

# Kernel autoload
alias sound-slot-0 cs4232
post-install sound-slot-0 /bin/aumix-minimal -f /etc/.aumixrc -L
 >/dev/null 2>&1 || :
pre-remove sound-slot-0 /bin/aumix-minimal -f /etc/.aumixrc -S
 >/dev/null 2>&1 || :
options sound dmabuf=1
alias synth0 opl3
options opl3 io=0x388
options cs4232 io=0x530 irq=5 dma=0 dma2=0 mpuio=0x330 mpuirq=5

This is despite the fact that I have remarked out all relevant sections
in rc.sysinit and halt, and even moved the drivers out of
/lib/modules/... and rerun depmod -a.

A couple of frustrating problems that I have had no success with at all,
so I'd really appreciate any light that might be shed here.

Thanks!

Frank