[linux-audio-user] alsa and modules.conf problems

Clemens Ladisch clemens at ladisch.de
Mon Feb 10 04:58:00 EST 2003

Frank Pirrone wrote:
> When I insert the line
>
> alias usb-controller uhci into my /etc/modules.conf file in RedHat 8.0
> with the CCRMA files installed, whch is required to fire up my Midiman
> 2x2 USB interface and HP 6200c USB scanner, the bootup messages state
> ALSA driver already loaded [FAILED}.
>
> If I leave out this line, I see the drivers ennumerated and hear sound
> come up on my speaker system.

The USB controller driver is loaded before the ALSA drivers, and it
automatically loads the drivers for all USB devices (hotplugging isn't a
bug but a feature :-). The bug is that the ALSA startup script sees the
USB audio driver and thinks that all ALSA drivers have already been
loaded.

As a workaround, add snd-usb-audio to the /etc/hotplug/blacklist file.
This will prevent automatic loading of this driver, so it has to be loaded
manually, but this is just fine because that's done by your ALSA startup
script.

HTH
Clemens