[linux-audio-user] M-Audio Delta 1010 and MIDI

Clemens Ladisch clemens at ladisch.de
Mon Feb 10 05:31:01 EST 2003

Christian Schoenebeck wrote:
> Es geschah am Freitag, 7. Februar 2003 09:23 als Clemens Ladisch schrieb:
> > And when you access /dev/sequencer, the module should be loaded, or there
> > is an error message written to /var/log/messages.
>
> Correct, accessing /dev/sequencer loads the module and /dev/snd/seq appears,
> but shouldn't the Alsa seq module be loaded automatically on startup?

It will be loaded on startup if there is a startup script that loads it.
Creating such a script is the responsibility of the distribution or the
system administrator.  >:-)

> Alsa apps won't try to access /dev/sequencer before they actually open
> /dev/snd/seq, right? Thus, no Alsa app will work after a reboot
> without me having loaded the Alsa seq module manually (or having
> accessed /dev/sequencer).

The ALSA sequencer is accessed through the ALSA library, and the library
will access /dev/aloadSEQ if /dev/snd/seq isn't found. So, when using ALSA
applications, the sequencer will be loaded transparently.

HTH
Clemens