[linux-audio-user] Interuptions While Recording

Mark Knecht markknecht at attbi.com
Thu Feb 13 08:28:00 EST 2003

Hi Rocco

On Thu, 2003-02-13 at 00:21, linuxmedia4 at netscape.net wrote:
<SNIP>

> I read the article, and did "cat /proc/interrupts" and got the
> following:
>
>            CPU0
>   0:      30093          XT-PIC  timer
>   1:        356          XT-PIC  keyboard
>   2:          0          XT-PIC  cascade
>   8:          2          XT-PIC  rtc
>  11:      21919          XT-PIC  EMU10K1
>  12:         73          XT-PIC  usb-ohci, usb-ohci
>  14:      12651          XT-PIC  ide0
>  15:         15          XT-PIC  ide1
> NMI:          0
> LOC:          0
> ERR:          0
> MIS:          0

This looks fine. Your sound card is IRQ11. Nothing is on 9 or 10, so 1
is the highest priority interrupt.

> >From what I read from the article, (and the little understanding I have
> about this subject)  nothing seemed unusual. With the  exception of the
> non-PCI slot IRQ's, the Sound Card appears to be before all others.
>
> The article talks about some IRQ's being shared. Would that be
> reflected in the output of "cat /proc/interrupts"?

Yes. You appear to have two USB controllers in the machine. (Many do.)
They are shared on IRQ12.

> Before I switched my Sound Card to another slot, I thought I would
> disable USB in the BIOS since it's just being used for the mouse. I'm
> now using a ps mouse.

Correct. USB wouldn't work, so ps2 is the way to go, although it should
have an interrupt.

> after booting up and doing "cat /proc/interrupts" I got the following:
>
>            CPU0
>   0:      25160          XT-PIC  timer
>   1:        542          XT-PIC  keyboard
>   2:          0          XT-PIC  cascade
>   8:          2          XT-PIC  rtc
>  11:          0          XT-PIC  EMU10K1
>  14:       7620          XT-PIC  ide0
>  15:         15          XT-PIC  ide1
> NMI:          0
> LOC:          0
> ERR:          0
> MIS:          0

Here's my setup:

[root at Godzilla root]# cat /proc/interrupts
           CPU0
  0:      73729          XT-PIC  timer
  1:       1114          XT-PIC  keyboard
  2:          0          XT-PIC  cascade
  5:       1812          XT-PIC  usb-uhci, usb-uhci, usb-uhci, eth0
  8:          1          XT-PIC  rtc
 10:          0          XT-PIC  hdsp
 11:          5          XT-PIC  ohci1394
 12:      24226          XT-PIC  PS/2 Mouse
 14:      44337          XT-PIC  ide2
 15:       9965          XT-PIC  ide3
NMI:          0
ERR:          0
[root at Godzilla root]#

> Even though there was no indication that the Interuptions (while
> recording) would stop, I still tried recording. I got the usual
> interruptions.
>
> Then I switched the sound card to the other PCI slot. There's only 2
> PCI slots because the Mother Board came with onboard this and onboard
> that (all of which I don't use and have disabled in the BIOS).
>
> The other thing is that there's _nothing_ in the other PCI slot. But I
> put it in the other slot anyways. And as you can guess, I got the same
> results from "cat /proc/interrupts".

So this would suggest that the interrupt lines for the two PCI slots are
tied together on the motherboard and both slots always share.

> All I can think of is that there may be a reason why my Mother Board
> was inexpensive. Maybe it's time to buy a new Mother Board.

Possibly. What MB/processor/memory is in this machine?

> Can anyone think of any other solution?'

Well, don't buy a new MB because if the problem is the disks then your
just spending money.

Can you review:

1) The machine configuration - hardware and distribution

2) What software you're using to record. (Is it using Jack?)

3) Results from Benno's latency test software, if you've done it.

4) Any problems with pure playback of raw wave files?

5) Any problems moving real-time audio through the machine without
recording it? Any clicks or pops?

Mark