[linux-audio-user] demudi-base config (Newbie)

tim hall tim at glastonburymusic.org.uk
Sat Feb 15 21:27:00 EST 2003

On Saturday 15 February 2003 09:08, Frank Barknecht wrote:
>These are the OSS/Free kernel drivers. You need to get rid of them ;)
>by installing alsa-modules-2.4.18 and configuring the modules.
>www.alsa-project-org/alsa-doc has detailed instructions for this. On
>Debian, modules configuration takes place under /etc/modutils. With
>modconf you can install or deinstall the kernel-modules. ALSA has
>alsaconf to help with configuring the alsa-modules, but last time I
>looked, this was broken.

It appears to work, but for ALSA-0.5 only

>You might be better of by creating a file
>/etc/modutils/alsa as described on alsa-project.org and run
>update-modules as root by hand.

interestingly enough alsaconf updated /etc/alsa/modutils/0.5
I have a file next door to it called ./0.9-demudi, which is much easier to
read.
I tried applying some appropriate looking values to this file, but I'm not
sure how to activate it. update-modules does not appear to touch this file.
I'm also not sure that I should be putting my soundcard details in
/etc/modutils as that duplicates the values in /etc/alsa/modutils.

On Saturday 15 February 2003 09:10, Vincent wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 15, 2003 at 02:08:53AM +0000, tim hall wrote:
[...]
> >However, when I get to the point of configuring demudi-base it comes up
> > with: modprobe: Nothing to load ???
> >Specify at least a module or a wildcard like \*
>
> You cannot do modprobe \*, you always have to modprobe a specific
> modulename.

tell that to demudi-base, that was the error message I received. It  makes no
sense to me either.
...and I'm still getting it *gnash*

[...]
> If you just installed a new kernel, you probably don't have the alsa
> modules for that kernel installed (look for a alsa-modules-2.4.18-...
> package). Once you install that, look for all the snd-card-*.o modules in
> /lib/modules/2.4.18/alsa/ and use the one referring to your sound card
> to modprobe, eg. modprobe snd-card-fm801 (without the .o).

yep done all that

My system appears to be having trouble recognising the soundcard &/ driver
(both in different instances). It is possible that I should be using
snd-opti9xx instead of snd-opti92x or something similar, so I shall try that
next. It is also possible that I have the soundcard in the wrong slot. Do I
understand right that it will probably want to be in the top available slot
in my tower case?
Either that or I have a dodgy soundcard :-] (Bluepoint/OPTi 82c931) I have a
cs4232 in the drawer, which I might try instead as I know it works.
anyone had any experience of using these cards under ALSA?

Thanks for all the useful references to various bits of documentation. And
thanks just for replying, it helps me to work out whether I'm just being
plain dim or whether my hardware isn't right. I generally find that once I
get to the point of list-mailing it's due to broken / badly set up hardware.

take care & take it often
tim hall