[linux-audio-user] is ext3 ok for real-time / low-latency?

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Sun Feb 16 06:18:01 EST 2003

Hallo,
Jan Evil Twin Depner hat gesagt: // Jan Evil Twin Depner wrote:

> I only use reiserfs on my data drive.  I use ext3 on my root drive.  If
> you're doing any serious recording you need a dedicated data drive.  I
> *really* wouldn't use reiserfs on the root drive.

This sounds like a good compromise. On my laptop, where in the future
the real audio stuff is going on (maybe live, who knows) I have two
partitions, one for /home (which is me and all sound stuff) one for
the /-rest, both around 10 GB in size. Both are ext3 currently, but It
would be very easy to change the /home-partition to reiserfs, because
there is enough free space on / to move /home there temporarily.
Looking a Marks fs-benchmarks, ext3 is first of all bad at disk
writes. I don't write much outside /home, only to /tmp and I could
symlink that over to /home/tmp or such.

Does this all sound like a good strategy?

Changing / to reiser would be much harder and would require
repartitioning if I don't want to have /boot on reiser, which I
wouldn't want to for named reasons.

ciao