[linux-audio-user] Need help - hardware recommendations

Joe Hartley joe.hartley at ingenta.com
Tue Feb 25 14:01:00 EST 2003

On Tue, 25 Feb 2003 13:00:30 -0500
Paul Winkler <pw_lists at slinkp.com> wrote:
> Indeed, looks like Jan has discovered the "less-is-more" school
> of drum miking, which IMHO is often the way to go - don't put 10 mics
> on a drum kit unless you REALLY know what to do with 'em!

I like 5 mics on a kit, but can get away with 3 in a pinch.  Unless
you're miking a huge drum kit, that's all I ever need.

> BTW, which cheap Marshall mics were those? is that the 600 or
> the 603 or what?  I need some more mics and I've had my eye
> on those guys ...

Iffn you're looking for cheap condenser mics, consider the Oktava
MK-319s, about $100 each.  I really like them for overhead drumkit
and acoustic instruments.  They can sound a touch thin, but if I run
them thru my mic modeler (or even an EQ) I can get great tones.

             Joe Hartley - Senior Unix Admin - Ingenta inc.
      111R Chestnut St., Providence, RI  02903 - cell 401.338.9214
              Joe.Hartley at ingenta.com - AOL IM: JoeHartley