[linux-audio-user] [OT] venting re: Mandrake 8.2

Austin Acton aacton at YorkU.CA
Fri Feb 28 11:10:20 EST 2003

On Fri, 2003-02-28 at 10:26, Dave Phillips wrote:
> 	1. The CD drive is actually a Toshiba DVD drive. Mandrake installed all
> right from it but afterwards is unable to read from any disc I insert.
> All I get is an uninformative "input/output error".

8.2 had a really good supermount setup, so I doubt it's that.
I dunno about that one.

> 	2. The sound configuration is a joke, right ? I boot into KDE and hear
> the KDE tune just fine, but when I try to run any bundled sound
> application (XMMS, MIDI synth, etc) I get an error saying that the
> output device is unreachable. When I test sound using the Drake tool it
> says it's playing an 8-bit sample but I hear nothing. The tool asks only
> if you do or do not hear the sample, it offers no advice on what to do
> if you don't hear anything.

Arts is your problem.  Try killing artsd.  You can set that up
permanently in KDE control centre somewhere.

> 	3. The Internet configuration informs me that I have no connection even
> when I do.

Yep.  The connect tool in 8.2 was messed up.  Is it such a big problem
that it lies to you?  You can see the I/O meter is active which tells
you you are connected.

> 	4. The GCC 2.96 is weird, yes ? When I ran ./configure for the latest
> ALSA I get an error telling me that the C compiler cannot produce
> executables. This, whether I'm normal user or root. Whafug??!!

You're likely missing some packages.  Did you install the development
suite?

>   So is it just me or are these well-known problems with Mandrake ? I'm
> setting up two machines here, both experience the same problems with
> Mandrake 8.2. I'm going to reinstall it once more then I'll give up and
> move on to Red Hat. The only reason I'm installing it at all is because
> the client wants it. Any and all advice will be vastly appreciated !

Why are you using 8.2?  9.0 is current, and 9.1 will be out in a month.
9.0 stock has a few problems, so be sure to install the errata packages
as well from the Mandrake update website.

Let me know if I can be of more help,
Austin

--
                        Austin Acton Hon.B.Sc.
             Synthetic Organic Chemist, Teaching Assistant