[linux-audio-user] [OT] venting re: Mandrake 8.2

Dave Phillips dlphilp at bright.net
Fri Feb 28 12:30:01 EST 2003

Austin Acton wrote:

[re: sound configuration]

> Arts is your problem.  Try killing artsd.  You can set that up
> permanently in KDE control centre somewhere.

Sorry, no can do. I've found the artscontrol panel, I can suspend the
daemon but not permanently, and trying to launch aumix fails either way.
The CD player appears to work, but I get no sound, possibly because the
channel's muted, but I can't unmute the channel because the mixer won't
launch. Sucks.

[re: Internet configuration]

> Yep.  The connect tool in 8.2 was messed up.  Is it such a big problem
> that it lies to you?  You can see the I/O meter is active which tells
> you you are connected.

Right-o, no problem for me, but I'm setting up these machines for other
people who are not particularly Linux-savvy. When they see something
like "Internet connection failed" they're very likely to think that's
exactly what the message means.

[re: GCC 2.96 error]

> You're likely missing some packages.  Did you install the development suite?

The whole enchilada, yep.

As a test I downloaded and tried to build libsndfile. The config.log
indicates that cpp0 is not found. So I found it in
/usr/lib/gcc-lib/i586-mandrake-linux-gnu/3.0.4. Alas, after adding that
location to my path the build fails with complaints about not finding
various headers. Building another package (FLTK) fails because configure
can't find the X libs, despite the libraries being in /usr/X11R6/lib and
that location is in ld.so.conf.

> Why are you using 8.2?  9.0 is current, and 9.1 will be out in a month.
> 9.0 stock has a few problems, so be sure to install the errata packages
> as well from the Mandrake update website.

Because that's what came with the machines. If Mandrake has some kind of
on-line upgrade, please advise. I have the net connection (ADSL)
working, so if it's easily done I'll upgrade over the wires.

Daniel James wrote:

> Get a copy of 9.0, or even 9.1rc1 which just came out. 8.2 is pretty old by
> Mandrake standards. You'll be pleased to know that 9.x is gcc 3 based...

No money for 9.0 so unless I can upgrade over the net this install is
headed for the can...

Thanks for the assistance, guys. Sorry I'm so testy, this is just not a
pleasant experience. The installation itself is indeed painless but the
configuration is a nightmare.

Best regards,

== Dave Phillips

	The Linux Soundapps Site at http://linux-sound.org