[linux-audio-user] Soundless ALSA Newbie

Patrick Shirkey pshirkey at boosthardware.com
Fri Jan 10 04:21:00 EST 2003

Sakari Aaltonen wrote:
> On 9 Jan 2003, Jan "Evil Twin" Depner wrote:
>

>>There was a reply earlier about running ./snddevices.  If you don't do
>>that you won't get anything.  After you do that you'll probably have to
>>run modprobe again.  If you install exactly as directed in the INSTALL
>>file in the alsa-driver.. directory it should work.
>>
>>Jan
>

> Well, my ALSA setup could be OK right now, but I don't seem to under-
> stand how to *use* it. For example, I didn't know the M's on top of
> alsamixer's bars meant "mute" - I thought muting was accomplished by
> setting the volume to zero... I have no idea what some of the bars
> are for. amixer says there are some 20 simple controls and some 40
> complex ones. This is much too complicated for me.

Have you been using the alsa-docs to do the installation?

http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/

Click on the link for your card.

> After I unmuted Main and PCM, I did get some sound output with
> aplay and a MIDI file (from the old playmidi package.) But it
> was garbage - evidently, aplay didn't recognize the format.
> And xine won't use ALSA at all, so the unmuting didn't help
> the DVD-and-TV thing.

xine will still work with oss emulation. What are the permissions for
/dev/dsp?

Try chmod a+rw /dev/dsp

> As I said earlier, I was unable to compile TiMidity. I'm still
> looking for a MIDI player that I could make run.

There is a timidity howto available through http://www.djcj.org and some
example soundfonts with the correct timidity config setup.

--
Patrick Shirkey - Boost Hardware Ltd.
For the discerning hardware connoisseur

Being on stage with the band in front of crowds shouting, "Get off! No!
We want normal music!", I think that was more like acting than anything
I've ever done.

Goldie, 8 Nov, 2002
The Scotsman