[linux-audio-user] Soundless ALSA Newbie

Sakari Aaltonen sakari at aplac.hut.fi
Fri Jan 10 11:12:24 EST 2003

On Fri, 10 Jan 2003, Patrick Shirkey wrote:

> http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/
>
> Click on the link for your card.

I did, but there is not much there. Perhaps I should read the
sources?

> xine will still work with oss emulation. What are the permissions for
> /dev/dsp?
>
> Try chmod a+rw /dev/dsp

Yes, xine seems to work for others; it doesn't for me. The /dev/dsp*
permissions are (and were) crw-rw-rw-.

> There is a timidity howto available through http://www.djcj.org and some
> example soundfonts with the correct timidity config setup.

Thanks for the pointer - I downloaded TiMidity++-2.10.4.tar.bz2.
Unfortunately, the patch recommended, timidity-2.10.4-alsa9-pl1.dif,
seems to be HTML, and 'patch' rejects it.

Sakari Aaltonen