[linux-audio-user] Soundless ALSA Newbie

Patrick Shirkey pshirkey at boosthardware.com
Fri Jan 10 12:37:01 EST 2003

Sakari Aaltonen wrote:

> On Fri, 10 Jan 2003, Patrick Shirkey wrote:
>

>>http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/
>>
>>Click on the link for your card.
>

> I did, but there is not much there. Perhaps I should read the
> sources?

????

Did you click on the details link? It seems like you have alsa installed
correctly but as you made a mistake with the -lib and -utils packages it
would be a good idea to install the entire set from scratch again if you
haven't already.

>>There is a timidity howto available through http://www.djcj.org and some
>>example soundfonts with the correct timidity config setup.
>

> Thanks for the pointer - I downloaded TiMidity++-2.10.4.tar.bz2.
> Unfortunately, the patch recommended, timidity-2.10.4-alsa9-pl1.dif,
> seems to be HTML, and 'patch' rejects it.

Sorry, you should be use the latest timidity as it is much improved.
However as you couldn't compile it before and xine is also giving you
problems it seems like you have something wrong with your compile system.

Which gcc are you using? Do you have all the various -devel rpms
installed? When I was using rpm systems getting those installed
correctly was always one of the most annoying problems for me.

--
Patrick Shirkey - Boost Hardware Ltd.
For the discerning hardware connoisseur

Being on stage with the band in front of crowds shouting, "Get off! No!
We want normal music!", I think that was more like acting than anything
I've ever done.

Goldie, 8 Nov, 2002
The Scotsman