[Just Talk] Re: [linux-audio-user] Why we need graphic designers

Steve Harris S.W.Harris at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Wed Jan 22 09:18:00 EST 2003

On Wed, Jan 22, 2003 at 03:37:36 +0200, Antti Boman wrote:
> >I think it's really a matter of taste, I'm personally not that fond of
> >interfaces that try to replicate hardware - I think it's a bit pointless.
>
> Maybe not pointless, but less usable. And aesthetics can be applied to
> common controls, too.

I'm not particularly interested in copying hardware, some companies go way
too far*, but its easy to copy (theres tons of it in every studio) and its
a familiar metaphor.

* I've seen a screenshot of a piece of audio software that you could turn
round and it had a 3pin IEC mains socket (with warning label) and a bunch
of XLRs on the back. Now that's stupid.

- Steve