[Just Talk] Re: [linux-audio-user] Why we need graphic designers

Mike Rawes mike_rawes at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Jan 22 09:44:01 EST 2003

 --- Steve Harris <S.W.Harris at ecs.soton.ac.uk> wrote: > On Wed, Jan 22, 2003 at
03:37:36 +0200, Antti Boman wrote:
> > >I think it's really a matter of taste, I'm personally not that fond of
> > >interfaces that try to replicate hardware - I think it's a bit pointless.
> >
> > Maybe not pointless, but less usable. And aesthetics can be applied to
> > common controls, too.
>
> I'm not particularly interested in copying hardware, some companies go way
> too far*, but its easy to copy (theres tons of it in every studio) and its
> a familiar metaphor.
>
> * I've seen a screenshot of a piece of audio software that you could turn
> round and it had a 3pin IEC mains socket (with warning label) and a bunch
> of XLRs on the back. Now that's stupid.

I remember when I first saw Reason working, and I was shown the 'back' with all
the beautifully rendered bouncy cables. It took me a few minutes to stop
laughing.... although the horror was compensated by a right-click menu that let
you connect to any other available port without having to tediously drag the
wire across the screen to a small target (hello carpal tunnel). Which is nice.

Come to think of it, wires are possibly the number one hardware thing I'd
rather not have to deal with in software, save for some sort of 'print layout'
function.

Mike