[Just Talk] Re: [linux-audio-user] Why we need graphic designers

Antti Boman antti.boman at mindcom.fi
Wed Jan 22 09:59:00 EST 2003

Steve Harris wrote:
> I'm not particularly interested in copying hardware, some companies go way
> too far*, but its easy to copy (theres tons of it in every studio) and its
> a familiar metaphor.

I understand that aspect, but they should still be used sparingly and
mainly for imitating some real equipment's look&feel (or at least look),
not for programs that don't have any kind of real life equivalent.

But I think we share the same point of view.

> * I've seen a screenshot of a piece of audio software that you could turn
> round and it had a 3pin IEC mains socket (with warning label) and a bunch
> of XLRs on the back. Now that's stupid.

As useful as the menu animations in Windows. Loots of good work time
thrown away.

-a