[linux-audio-user] i'm a graphic designer - use me! ;-)

Steve Harris S.W.Harris at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Wed Jan 22 11:50:01 EST 2003

On Wed, Jan 22, 2003 at 03:53:43 +0000, iriXx wrote:
> actually i've worked with those sorts of apps, like Reason, in windows
> *cough splutter*... and i find them really annoying to work with...
> knobs dont actually translate very well into mouse usage!!! you end up
> struggling to control the thing... although generally it runs on the y
> axis up and down.... which is kinda counter-intuitive to using a knob in
> 3 dimensions!

I've not used Reason but I gather that it has UI problems, I've used apps
that have software knobs and the're easy to use, its a compact, analogy
representation of a setting and easy to parse in a glance. If the graphics
are done well and the control method is appropriate. Y axis does sound
pretty useless.

OTOH I grew up with fiddly 19" studio hardware, so maybe I'm biased.

- Steve