[linux-audio-user] Is there interrest in a (near) perfect piano for tiMIDIty for composing music ?

Tobiah toby at tobiah.org
Wed Jan 22 14:44:00 EST 2003

> tiMIDIty version. So I'd like to know if there interrest in the Linux
> community for such a product ?

Yeah, but what is a tiMIDIty version, explicitly?  If you want to
please the Linux community, just send us 88 (more?) samples, one for
each key, and chuck the looping.  Just let them all ring out till
silence.  Better yet, 4-5 samples for each key at different striking
pressures would be great.  Don't worry about how or what software will
sort this all out, we'll figure out something.

A good idea would be to double all of these samples, one recorded
with the sustain pedal open, and one closed.  This would allow the
creation of the interactive effect between the strings which is
so noticeably lost in most sample sets.  This makes the set too
large you say?  Not even.  I wouldn't sweat if it was a couple of
GIG even.  Hey, it's only one DVD.  Lets start putting today's machines'
capabilities to good use.  In fact, these samples should be AIFF, WAV,
or raw, 96k/24bit, mastered digitally with mics and equipment that can
register frequencies approaching the nyquist.  That way, when we lower
notes an octave or two for effect, we will still have high end sizzle.

Yeah, make that, and I would buy it.  $20.00 - $30.00 say.  As long as
there were no restrictions through licensing, other than, of course, on
the resale of the package as a sample set.