[linux-audio-user] i'm a graphic designer - use me! ;-)

iriXx m at iriXx.org
Wed Jan 22 16:25:01 EST 2003

Mike Rawes wrote:

> Quite. Such a knob is really a slider, behaviourwise. It just takes up less
> room on screen. The knobs in SpiralSynthModular are better (in some ways) as
> you turn them by rotating the mouse, which is tricky, but has the nice side
> effect of allowing finer adjustments at larger distances from the centre.

yes, actually i was going to raise the pawful apps as a great example of
lovely guis in linux - Spiral Loops would be my favourite though, just
because it gets you into a totally different way of thinking about
sound... the originality is what draws me to it... being an artist, the
visual look and feel of an app influences the way i work with it very
much.... not sure how that translates for you coders out there :)... do
you find guis influence your thinking about sound or not?...

> Amen etc :) I think a wire display is useful for seeing how things hang
> together, but as an interface paradigm, it tends to suck somewhat. It seems to
> be the de-facto method of doing things though.

they're cute, and i must admit Reason has some lovely graphic design -
but a bunch of messy wires on screen are just as bad as a bunch of messy
wires in the studio! i've been inclined to think there *must* be a more
computer-driven way of doing things... if you're going to emulate
everything on-screen you might as well just buy a hardware studio imho...

> Incidentally, I've been planning to make a command-line/script driven LADSPA
> modular synth for some time, but due to lazyness, I've nothing to show yet...
>
> What I'd like is this:
>
> $ add plugin foo
> $ add plugin bar
> $ set portrange bar.inport -2.0 +2.0
> $ connect plugin foo.outport bar.inport
> $ :
> $ run
>
> with tab completion. Does anyone know if such a thing exists? It would
> basically be like ecasound(-iam?), but with direct wiring capabilities for all
> plugin ports.

now *that* sounds like the sort of thing im looking for.....
something in the way of a few simple commands - like the way jack works
between apps - that could link things up... well, maybe jack is heading
this way too...?... having not worked with it enough i dont feel
qualified to say... comments anyone?

>>so please... if you want a nice graphic design, i'd be more than happy
>>to help!  :-)
>

> Maybe some sort of repository for nice widget graphics? I'm not sure how we'd
> do this - anyone for an Open Graphics Library?
>
> I might try my hand at drawing some widgets and put them on the web
> somewhere...

that sounds great!
yes.... i'd love to have a go at that sort of thing... i need a little
primer in how widgets are made - perhaps just trawling through the
various libs installed on my machine might help... but if there are
specific dos and dont's it'd help lots to know about them....

just a thought... maybe we should cc this over to linux-audio-dev?...

> p.s. Nice website :)

thanx so much! glad you liked it :)
the iriXx.org one is somewhat unfinished - part of my Ph.D studies, but
i've got distracted by writing my book - which is on the copyleftmedia
website...

i'd love to get back to doing more .swf based work - but i just wish i
had Free Software tools to do it in, i dont like being forced to use
proprietary tools to do my interactive art...

which brings me to another 'request'... anyone know of any Free
interactive art tools?... blender is about the only one i can think of
off-hand... or cinelerra maybe... even if .swf format is proprietary,
maybe theres another format we could export to for interactive art?...

best

m~

--
iriXx
www.iriXx.org

copyleft: creativity, technology and freedom?
info at copyleftmedia.org.uk
www.copyleftmedia.org.uk

  _
( )  ascii ribbon against html email