[linux-audio-user] Pianotest1 recording as requested by Mark and answers to questions by others.

Mark Knecht markknecht at attbi.com
Thu Jan 23 00:25:01 EST 2003

<SNIP>
I've uploaded the MP3 recording of this MIDI file to
http://project-portability.foad.nl/mp3/pianotest1.mp3
Note though that it was sampled from Grandest Piano beta v0.1 and thus
will
not neccesarily represent the v1.0 release of the piano.
<SNIP>

Roel,
   I think this is quite a good start! The upper registers, above middle
C, are the best to my ears. They sound quite open and natural. I beleive
that this part would be easy to mix and would come through just great on
pop music.

   I think that below middle C, or maybe even an octave further, there
isn't quite the power that I hear in the Bardstown (link follows - look
for Piano Shoot Out) or the Post Bosendorfer samples on the previous
link, but those are 9 foot pianos that costs about $200K U.S. It's got
the largest sound around.

   What piano did you sample by the way??

   I certainly liked yours more than a couple that I've purchased and
look forward to hearing your final product.

   It was, BTW, a bit hard, as I suggested earlier, to compare yours
with the others because of your choice to use 48K instead of 44.1K. This
will make it a bit more difficult for people to use your library at the
same time that they use a tool like GigaSampler, but 48K people need a
great piano also! Go for it!

http://bardstownaudio.com/frames/mp3.html

With best regards,
Mark