[linux-audio-user] i'm a graphic designer - use me! ;-)

Daniel James daniel at mondodesigno.com
Thu Jan 23 04:42:00 EST 2003

> actually i've worked with those sorts of apps, like Reason, in windows
> *cough splutter*... and i find them really annoying to work with...

I've used Reason on a Mac, and believe that emulating all those rack units is
a macho thing that has little to do with making music and everything to do
with the transfer of arcane knowledge. Why have a visual representation of a
real patchbay when kaconnect does the same job in a way that anyone could
understand, and with a minimum of resources used?

> there seems to be a fashion for this sort of stuff now... i dont find it
> very helpful

Maybe audio apps that are straightforward will bring people to digital music
production that have been too intimidated before. There's still a barrier
between artists on the one hand, and engineers and producers on the other -
that arcane knowledge again. I've heard that in the 1960's, few artists were
allowed in the control room - Pink Floyd had to fight for the right to edit
their own music at EMI.

Now computers are ubiquitous in the first world, in theory any musician should
be able to make their own CD - but I know from my own experience that many
still don't know how. They imagine that they'd need to buy thousands of
pounds worth of equipment, and then face the difficult task of learning it
all - because they anticpate that computers aren't intuitive.

Cheers

Daniel