[linux-audio-user] i'm a graphic designer - use me! ;-)

iriXx m at iriXx.org
Thu Jan 23 09:13:00 EST 2003

Daniel James wrote:

> I've used Reason on a Mac, and believe that emulating all those rack units is
> a macho thing that has little to do with making music and everything to do
> with the transfer of arcane knowledge. Why have a visual representation of a
> real patchbay when kaconnect does the same job in a way that anyone could
> understand, and with a minimum of resources used?

very interesting point....
i'm wondering if its possible to code a front end to kaconnect,
something like Tksysv - where you just select what you want connecting
to what, in boxes, rahter than wih all those wires everywhere that i'm
gonna lose track of sooner or later!!!

yes, i agree, its a kind of macho thing!
having seen this at work in the studio frequently as a woman composer ;-)

>>there seems to be a fashion for this sort of stuff now... i dont find it
>>very helpful
>

> Maybe audio apps that are straightforward will bring people to digital music
> production that have been too intimidated before. There's still a barrier
> between artists on the one hand, and engineers and producers on the other -
> that arcane knowledge again. I've heard that in the 1960's, few artists were
> allowed in the control room - Pink Floyd had to fight for the right to edit
> their own music at EMI.

yeah... is it an elitist thing, or is it simply that apps are written by
coders rather than musicians a lot of the time?... i know only of a few
coders who *are* professional musicians (most of them reside on this list :)

> Now computers are ubiquitous in the first world, in theory any musician should
> be able to make their own CD - but I know from my own experience that many
> still don't know how. They imagine that they'd need to buy thousands of
> pounds worth of equipment, and then face the difficult task of learning it
> all - because they anticpate that computers aren't intuitive.

and thats where the mac world seems to take over & sucker everyone
in.... because it looks so 'simple'... remember the old ad 'i'm not a
computer person?'...
when the fact is they end up using exactly the same tools as everyone
else....

its not actually hard for a musician to translate to computers - it just
takes some self-belief.... musicians, generally, have a good head for
mathematics, you have to to be able to write music.... and a good head
for languages too... its just overcoming that barrier of 'ooh, i couldnt
be technical'....

my former teacher in Holland - from back when i was an instrumental
composer - has recently switched to using Sibelius to print all his work
instead of the laborious hand-copying he has always done, and is
marketing all of his music on the web. he, when i first met him, was
most definately *not* a computer person - probably still isn't ! so if
he can do it.... ;-)

best

m~

--
iriXx
www.iriXx.org

copyleft: creativity, technology and freedom?
info at copyleftmedia.org.uk
www.copyleftmedia.org.uk

  _
( )  ascii ribbon against html email