[Fwd: Re: [linux-audio-user] Why we need graphic designers]

iriXx m at iriXx.org
Thu Jan 23 10:07:01 EST 2003

 > Hi,
 >
 > This stuff is done by bypassing the toolkit, they tend not to support
 > bitmaps.

ahhh.... thanks... now its beginning to make sense :)

 > There are some example bits I'm using here:
 > http://inanna.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~swh/pixmaps/
 >
 > But basicly any alpha blended image will work. The UI is made up by
 > compositing the images much like you would in gimp or photoshop. Which is
 > how I test them actually, just hiding and revealing layers to check the
 > transitions look OK.

ahhhh.... right :)...

 > Sliders are a bit odd cos there done with a piece of image for the part
 > the slider moves over, the two ends and the slidy part as seperate
images,
 > but it doesn't have to be done that way. I'm sure people will be able to
 > write UI code for anything you happen to come up with.

cool :)
actually im used to doing sliders that way in Flash - i've done a bit of
   Flash coding as you've probably seen by the mini-mixer thing in my
incomplete website interface! ;-)... theres no sound as yet on that
page, the idea was that you could load sounds and the mixer would
function, but i never got quite that far.... still to do!

if i keep things in layers, i'd be able to draw up a slider and then
slice it up into the sections you need....

 > If you could produce some widgets that look better than my hamfisted
 > gimpings then that would be fantastic. I copied things around my studio
 > because I'm lazy and can't draw :)

hey, they dont look at all bad though!

i've grabbed a copy of your code for swh (only just reinstalling
mandrake on my laptop so i've gotta recompile everything!)
i'll have a look at them and have a go... the principle from what i see
is pretty straightforward - and i like your approach with the pixmaps
too, the metal-look background seems to be an essential thesedays!
i'll have a go maybe doing some pixmaps and post them up :)... i'll need
a little time tho, i've not been well and book deadlines are looming in
front of me :-/.... maybe i can come up with something on the weekend :)

bw
m~

--
iriXx
www.iriXx.org

copyleft: creativity, technology and freedom?
info at copyleftmedia.org.uk
www.copyleftmedia.org.uk

   _
( )  ascii ribbon against html email