[linux-audio-user] preferred motherboards ?

James Tappin james at tappin.me.uk
Tue Jan 28 17:05:01 EST 2003

On Tue, 28 Jan 2003 21:42:17 +0000
Steve Harris <S.W.Harris at ecs.soton.ac.uk> wrote:

> > If you're going IDE, avoid Maxtor like the devil.  I run a lab and
> > their harddrives DIE.  They start beeping(!!!) during startup and
> > won't mount. Maxtor is cheap, but sucky.
>
> OTOH Seagate Barraccuda IVs are highly recommended, quiet and fast. I've
> not had any reliability prblems yet...

It seems as though all full-size IDE disks are going to pot. Our campus
computer store has recently swithched to using 2.5" drives in their
desktop boxes because those still have a 3-year warranty.

James

--
James Tappin,             O__      "I forget the punishment for using
james at tappin.me.uk       --  \/`    Microsoft --- Something lingering