[linux-audio-user] MDK audio distro survey

Luke Yelavich lukethemuso at ozemail.com.au
Wed Jan 29 00:09:01 EST 2003

> >I'm a major contributor and volunteer at Mandrake, and I've been working
> >to get Mandrake up-to-date and more complete with regard to audio
> >applications, so I thought this would be a good place to come for
> >advice.  If you have a few minutes, please answer any of the following
> >questions you can.  Doing so will help make Mandrake 9.1 the best audio
> >distribution on the planet...

Good to hear that people from big distros still consider audio enthusiasts.

> >1. If Mandrake 9.0 is your primary distribution for audio, what is your
> >#1 complaint?

Mandrake 9 is not my choice, although I would like it to be.

> >2. If Mandrake 9.0 is not your primary distribution for audio, why not?
> >What is missing or what has turned you away?

I would personally rather a vanilla kernel, I.E untouched from the source.
I can accept compilation decisions made, but there is a lot in the kernel
that is put in there by Mandrake that I feel reduces the stability and
speed of the system. I am also afraid of compiling and using a pre-compiled
kernel from source, as I might break functionality that I might need
elsewhere. I do like the fact that Mandrake do include ALSA. Thats
something you don't see every day in a distro.

> >3. What audio applications are we missing (please check current list
> >>provided below, as many new apps have been added since 9.0)?

None that I can think of right now.

> >4. What thee audio applications do you consider the most
> >valuable/important? (do not include alsa, jack, mixers, or ogg/mp3
> >players/encoders)

Can't give specific names as I haven't been using Linux for a great deal of
audio yet (Do most in windows.) Multi-track recorders, good notation
programs, and sound sample support, (Which I can see is partly there.)

> >Thanks very much.  I appreciate your time, and please let me know
> >personally if there is anything else I can do to make Mandrake more
> >audio-friendly.
>
> >Austin
> >--
> >                        Austin Acton Hon.B.Sc.
> >             Synthetic Organic Chemist, Teaching Assistant
> >           Department of Chemistry, York University, Toronto
> >             MandrakeClub Volunteer (www.mandrakeclub.com)
> >                     homepage: www.groundstate.ca
> >--

Glad to respond.