[linux-audio-user] MDK audio distro survey

janne halttunen jhalttun at pp.htv.fi
Wed Jan 29 05:46:01 EST 2003

On 28 Jan 2003 23:19:40 -0500
Austin Acton <aacton at YorkU.CA> wrote:

> Hello all,
> I'm a major contributor and volunteer at Mandrake, and I've been working
> to get Mandrake up-to-date and more complete with regard to audio

Cool.

> 1. If Mandrake 9.0 is your primary distribution for audio, what is your
> #1 complaint?

The supermount kernel patch not working perfectly.  While it works fine most of the time, it sometimes gets into a wierd state, where you have to disable it and mount manually to be able to use cds.

> 2. If Mandrake 9.0 is not your primary distribution for audio, why not?
> What is missing or what has turned you away?
>
> 3. What audio applications are we missing (please check current list
> provided below, as many new apps have been added since 9.0)?

spiralsynthmodular,
maybe freqtweak.

> 4. What thee audio applications do you consider the most
> valuable/important? (do not include alsa, jack, mixers, or ogg/mp3
> players/encoders)

ecasound
soundtracker
spiralsynthmodular

> Audio Apps Currently in Mandrake 9.1 developer version:
> (apps including mp3 encoders or java bytecode are forbidden)

But most important of those are propably distributed by third parties, like today for 9.0?

janne